Welcome New Importers!
The purpose of this page is to help new importers like to you prepare the necessary documents and items you’ll need to be an importer, and for us to help you prepare your shipments to move quickly and smoothly through the customs process.
If you’re not quite sure where to start or have some questions, you may be interested in our affordable New Importer Consulting Service. Learn more about it here.
Documents You’ll Need To Gather & Provide
Now if you’re a first-time importer, you’ll need to get some information together. That means assembling documents and completing and submitting forms that are required by agencies like the Department of Homeland Security.
The first step is to prepare the paperwork you need to become an importer and to work with a customs broker like WB Skinner.
1) To get started, you will need to provide the following 4 documents:
- A Signed Power of Attorney which give WB Skinner the authority to act on your behalf with the regulating agencies.
- A signed Form 5106
- A signed WB Skinner Terms and Conditions form for working with WB Skinner
- A copy of your photo ID, drivers license, or passport – that proof of identity is required by all CTPAT certified brokers
2) Just download, fill out and sign, and then scan and email back or fax to us (fax # 201-644-7244) along with a copy of your photo ID.
3) Once we have the above information and documentation, we’ll want to discuss the specifics of your import shipment with you. To prepare for that call, please track down and assemble the following documents:
- A Commercial Invoice written in English with a full description of the merchandise, quantities, and value of the product.
- A Packing List
- Shipping Documents – either an airway bill for air shipments or the bill of lading for ocean shipments.
- An Arrival Notice
OK. Those are the basic items you’ll need to get started. Now’s the time to give us a call at WB Skinner Customs Broker a let’s get your imports moving!